Thank-you for choosing Garden of Ink! For your peace of mind we use professional equipment, commercial pigments and the highest sterilization standards. In addition, our artists are certified by the state of Oregon as to their technical expertise. Please be well rested and eat a good meal before your procedure! DO NOT drink alcohol or use drugs prior to being tattooed. We will refuse service to anyone who appears intoxicated.
WHAT TO EXPECT: Your tattoo will generally take 10- 14 days to heal. It will be tender for the first few days, then it will develop a light crust of dry skin over the surface. This crust will gradually peel like a sunburn. During this period, the tattoo may look uneven and/or pale in color, and some ink may ooze as well. THIS IS NORMAL. In the last stage of healing the skin will have a tight, shiny surface. This waxy look will slowly leave and the skin will return to its normal appearance and texture. We provide written AFTERCARE instructions below AND we will go over this with you verbally at the end of the procedure. (Remember, every person’s skin is different…your healing process may vary)
During the procedure you may feel light-headed, dizzy or nauseous. This is normal and if you feel any of these symptoms, let your artist know right away. Immediately following your tattoo there may be some seeping of blood or plasma. This is why we bandage your tattoo. Also, some people experience minor swelling or bruising depending on the location of the tattoo. In addition as the tattoo heals you may also experience itching. Don’t scratch–pat or slap with a clean hand instead!
POTENTIAL COMPLICATIONS: Due to the time involved in healing a tattoo, there is always the risk of infection. Excellent hygiene can prevent most infections! Do not use Neosporin or Bacitracin UNLESS there is infection as these products can cause reactions or pull ink from your tattoo. Although extremely rare, allergic reaction and/or sensitivity to a particular pigment/ink can be a problem, sometimes intensified by exposure to heat or sun during the healing process.
(Please follow carefully!)
- Leave bandage on for approx. two hours.
(If the bandage really sticks, you may soak to get it off — NO soaking after that!)
- Wash your hands thoroughly, or be sure person helping you has clean hands. Gently remove bandage, wash your tattoo with bare hand, fragrance free soap from a dispenser (not bar soap) and water–removing any ointment or blood. Pat dry with clean paper towel and air dry 15 minutes. NEVER re-bandage your tattoo.
- At this stage some people will apply a small amount of healing ointment* (suggestion: Ultimate Healing Cream or Wild Rose Ink Balm) VERY thinly over tattoo, other people don’t use any cream or lotion at all. Repeat steps two & three, 1 to 3 times per day for five – seven days. Occasionally spritz with witch hazel–helps keep infection and itch away.
- After five – seven days simply moisturize your tattoo lightly whenever it feels crusty or dry, until it is fully healed.
- For two weeks: absolutely NO sun-tanning, picking, scratching or soaking in any water (bathtub, hot tub, pool, lake, etc). Shower is fine but don’t soak your new tattoo. Also please wear loose clothing while tattoo heals. If you engage in activities in the sun AFTER your tattoo has healed–use sunscreen to protect your tattoo. Proper aftercare of your tattoo means you will enjoy it for years!
Please feel free to call, e-mail or facebook us if you have any questions or concerns. It’s our pleasure to share in the creation of your personal body art and we look forward to serving you again soon! Take care of your investment!
(*If irritation occurs, wash tattoo thoroughly, discontinue use of product, wait 24 hours and try a different product.)