UPDATE Oct 20, 2020:
We are currently accepting applications for our Spring 2021 program (waiting list) with a plan to expand our online training as much as possible.
Garden of Ink Tattoo School is committed to giving every student the tools they need to build the foundation of a successful career in the industry of artistic tattooing.
We provide a safe, tolerant and professional learning environment where students are treated as working apprentices solely concentrating on the fundamentals of tattooing.
Our Program is designed to prepare students for an entry level position in the tattoo industry.
The State of Oregon requires 360 hours of instruction to prepare for state licensure. We offer more in-depth information in many areas of our program, based on student interest. Priority is given to those with art training or extensive art experience.
Our course is tailored to the individual student, and is intended to be four months (16 weeks) in length. Maximum allowed time for completion of the program is five months (20 weeks). Our instructional program is designed to be thorough, professional and intensive. The attending student is expected to be dedicated, committed and involved.
Connect With Us!
A Word From Director/Owner Shelly Dax“Thanks so much for your interest in Garden of Ink Tattoo School! I opened this school because I wanted to provide a relaxed, comfortable environment in which to learn the craft of tattooing, especially focused on the artistic, unique nature of body art and creating top notch client service & professionalism in the studio. Gone are the ‘old school’ apprenticeships, where you were expected to put up with disrespect, rudeness and being treated poorly. Thanks to many wonderful Oregon tattoo artists who paved the way and Oregon state’s stricter regulations, you can learn to tattoo in a safe, enjoyable and productive environment. You have the right to expect a quality instructional experience and we intend to offer you just that!” -Shelly Dax Click here to read more about our Tattoo School Instructors.
Tattoo School AdmissionsTo be considered for admission:
- You must be at least 18, and possess a high school diploma or GED.
- You must complete our admission application form.
- You must provide picture ID in the form of Oregon Driver’s License or ID Card, Passport or Government issued ID, as well as a copy of your diploma or G.E.D.
- You must provide 10 drawings or paintings you have completed, printed or copied on 8 1/2 by 11 paper (regardless of the original artwork’s size). [These will not be returned.] We also like to look at your physical portfolio or have access to your online portfolio, but this is not absolutely necessary.
- You must provide two letters of reference, one personal and one professional. Please choose somebody other than family.
- You must include nonrefundable, admission application fee of $25, paid by money order or cashier’s check.
Enrollment fee is due at the time of enrollment. Tuition and other fees are due on the first day of class, unless payment arrangements by the director have been approved in advance. Please keep in mind, tattoo schools cannot accept federally funded financial aid.
Tuition & Fees (2021)Enrollment Fee: $150, Tuition & Supplies: $8200, Take-Home Equipment: $1500,
- Cheyenne Rotary Tattoo Machine
- Critical Power Supply
- Gem footswitch
- Basic set of inks
- Basic set of disposable needle cartridges
- The Tattoo Textbook